HILL Joseph

Posted on: October 15th, 2016 by webfooted

See the Potteries List section for the St Philip’s Pottery 2

It is possible that he took over the Pottery previously operated by Edward Rumley.

c1770-72 Joseph Hill ran the St Philip’s Pottery 2.

He was probably succeeded at this Pottery by Henderson, Rice and Keene.


1770 14 Apr. ‘Joseph Hill takes this method of acquainting his Friends and the Public that at his pottery in St Phillip’s, Bristol, is made every Sort of Sugar Moulds and Garden Pots, where merchants and others may be supplie’d on the shortest Notice and reasonable terms.  He likewise makes All Sorts of Chimney Moulds for ornament and preventing Smoky Chimneys’ (FFJ).
1771 29 Aug. ‘Bristol, August 1771. Joseph Hill takes this method to acquaint the Public in general and Noblemen and Gentlemen who inhabit this and the neighbouring Counties in particular, That at his Pottery in St Philip’s, are made his New-invented Moulds for the preventing of Smoaky Chimnies, which very seldom fail, as Numbers in and about this City can testify.  Nor is that their only use, for they entirely prevent Rain, Hail or Snow from falling down the Chimney. He therefore apprehends no one would chuse to be without them, (even if their Chimnies do not smoke) to prevent so great an Inconvenience. They are three feet high and made to fit any chimney, of very little Weight, and will resist the most violent Gust of Wind. – Plain sold at 4s Pined 7s.6d and Cannister and Hooded at 12s a-Piece.  Any Person may have them at the shortest Notice, by sending the Size of the Chimney’ (Bath Chronicle – information from Marek Lewcun).
1772 31 Dec. An indenture concerning land in St Philip’s known as Day’s Ground and adjoining plot refers to ‘… the Boundary wall of a pothouse of the said Joseph Hill …’ (BRO 19835 10(e)).
1774 The premises were described as ‘a pottery and building for the purpose of making and manufacturing sugar moulds and pots and other articles with a burning kiln and sheds’ (BRO 28777/G/Py/11a).
1775 21 Nov. Sale of the estate of Joseph Hill, a bankrupt.  The Bankruptcy Commission of 21 April 1774 was awarded against Joseph Hill, late of the parish of St Philip and Jacob, a founder, brickmaker, dealer and chapman (BRO 19835 10(f)).


Comments are closed.