Posted on: October 4th, 2016 by webfooted

She took over the lease of Limekiln Lane Pottery 1 from Henry Hobbs.

1724 13 Mar. Whereas the Mayor Burgesses and Commonalty of the City of Bristol  by their Indre. of Lease dated the four and twentieth day of March 1692 … did demise and grant unto Henry Hobbs … All those their two garden grounds being adjoining together under Brandon Hill … conteyning in breadth in the front towards the Lane leading to the Limekiln One hundred foot or thereabouts … Since the granting of which said recited lease the sd. Henry Hobbs entered upon the sd prses. and became possessed thereof and in pursueance of a Covent. in the same Lease contained had erected and built Several Messuages Workhouses and other Buildings thereon in doing whereof he had laid out the sume of One hundred pounds and upwards … It is this day agreed with Joan Bayly … A New Lease shall be granted her of all those the two severall and respective gardens and all other the premises before menconed … And of all Workhouses, Dwelling houses and all other Structures and Buildings thereon erected … To hold for the like Terme of ninety years from our Lady day next (BB).
1723/4-1739/40 ‘Joan Bayly late H. Hobbs a tenemt. and garden’ (GAB).
Tax book entries:
1725-26 ‘Pothouse workes & Dwelling’ Cow Lane (St Augustine-L)
1728-1734/5 ‘Mrs Bayly’s Tenemts., Potthouse & other Tenements’ Trenchard Lane/Cow Lane (St Augustine-L).

She does not appear to have been a potter.  William Pottery and John Weaver were her tenants.  After 1739/40 John Plomer started to pay rent on the property and the lease passed to him.


Comments are closed.