White’s Hill Pottery

Posted on: May 7th, 2017 by webfooted

White’s Hill, St George.

Summary of operating dates and proprietors

1869 Aaron Johnson II.

There is only one known documentary reference to this pottery.  On 21 December 1869 a man was charged ‘with stealing five dozen pudding basins, value 12s, the property of Aaron Johnson, St George’s. For about nine months … the prisoner had been in the employ of the prosecutor, who is a potter carrying on business at Whiteshill, his duty being to prepare the clay for the potters, and to take out goods and deliver them, and to take money for them.  On the 10th inst the prosecutor packed a wagon with about five dozen pudding basins, a quantity of cups, pint basins and tea pots … On the following day the prosecutor took the wagon to Oldland Common, and on looking into it missed the pudding basins, a number of pint cups, and tea pots … The prosecutor admitted that he owed the prisoner 11s for wages, and that he had been in the habit of allowing his workpeople to sell goods and repay themselves out of the proceeds, but he said he did not allow them to do this without his consent’.  On the 8 January 1870 the accused was acquitted of stealing 60 pudding basins and 18 pint basins.

Aaron Johnson II was born in Burslem, Staffordshire, and in 1851 was a warehouseman in Audley, Staffordshire.  In 1861 he was a warehouseman of Mag Pie Bottom, St George and in 1871 was described as a pottery foreman of White’s Hill, St George.  He died in 1878 and in 1881 his widow was living at 27 Nags Head Hill, St George.

Wares produced

Probably earthenwares, including tea pots, cups and basins.

Comments are closed.