57 St Thomas Street (originally known as Thomas Street), St Thomas parish.
Summary of operating dates and proprietors
|John Ellis II, trading as John Ellis & Company.
The pottery closed.
In 1841 John Ellis II was working as a potter presser in Shelton, Staffordshire, but in May 1847 he was recorded as a ‘glass and china manufacturer’ in Bristol, so it seems likely that by 1847 he had established the St Thomas Street Pottery 3. In 1848 and 1849 the directories listed him trading as John Ellis and Company ‘stone and red ware potters’ and ‘earthenware manufacturers’ at 57 Thomas Street.
In June 1849 the following advertisement appeared: ‘To Earthenware Manufacturers. To be disposed of, that newly erected earthenware manufactory situated at 57 Thomas Street, in the city of Bristol, with immediate possession. The moulds, kilns and working utensils may be purchased for about one third of their original value. This is an opportunity that seldom occurs here. Bristol for potting stands unequalled, being the nearest port for clays, flints and stone. A saving of 10 to 15 per cent on common goods can be effected, having no carriage on the goods to the western parts of England. A good wholesale glass and china trade is done on the premises. For further particulars, apply to the proprietor, John Ellis. Or, a respectable partner would not be objected to, who could command from £800 to £900. One who understands the trade would be preferred. N.B. There is also a respectable dwelling-house attached to the premises’.
The pottery probably closed in 1849. In 1851 John Ellis was an earthenware dealer in Liverpool, returning to Bristol by 1853 to establish the Redcross Street Pottery.