St Philip’s Pottery 8

Posted on: August 9th, 2016 by webfooted

St Philip’s Marsh, St Philip and Jacob parish.

Summary of operating dates and proprietors

1821-1825 John Oland.

The pottery closed.

From 1821 to 1826 John Oland was listed in the directories as a brown stone potter or stoneware manufacturer of St Philip’s Marsh.  The Port Books for 1821 to 1823 recorded him exporting earthenware and stoneware to Quebec and Jamaica.

There is a suggestion that he was to be made bankrupt in 1823 but he appears to have avoided this, possibly by going into partnership with someone called ‘Boddington’.   However, Boddington and Oland, potters of St Philip’s Marsh were declared bankrupt in 1825 and the pottery was advertised as for sale by auction in September 1825:
‘A valuable stoneware pottery, with yard, 2 kilns, drying rooms, ware rooms, and other suitable and convenient outbuildings; together with a newly erected, substantial and roomy dwelling-house, adjoining thereto, with a large garden attached, now and for some time past in the occupation of Mr John Oland, as yearly tenant.  These premises occupy a frontage of 206 feet, and are in depth on the northward part 64 feet, and on the southward 60 feet; the late proprietor has expended within the last few years the sum of £1500 in the various above-mentioned erections. NB The purchaser of this lot may be accommodated with the fixtures and stock of clay, now on the premises, at a fair valuation, by which the pottery may be set to work at a small expense’.

There is no evidence that the pottery continued after its sale in 1825.

Wares produced

The directories recorded him as producing stoneware.  The Port Books refer to earthenware and stoneware.

Comments are closed.