Bread Street/Avon Street, St Philip and Jacob parish.
Summary of operating dates and proprietors
The pottery closed.
Records show that Samuel Sheppard worked for the Bedminster Pottery in 1788 and 1789, but by 1801 he had established his own pottery in Bread Street/Avon Street. The directories for 1801 to 1819 listed Samuel Sheppard as a manufacturer of red and glazed wares and chimney and garden pots.
In October 1819 the St Philip’s Pottery 5 was advertised to let as ‘a stone pottery, with every requisite for immediate work, adjoining the Float [the Floating Harbour]. The premises may be applied to any other business requiring room. Apply to Mr M. Sheppard on the premises, Avon Street’. Presumably M. Sheppard was a mistake for S. Sheppard. However the directories show that Samuel Sheppard continued as a ‘brown ware potter’ in Avon Street until his death in March 1824.
The pottery was then run by his wife, Mary, until 1828 when it was advertised: ‘to be let, and entered upon immediately, a red ware pottery, situate in Avon Street … and for many years carried on by Mr Samuel Sheppard, deceased. Apply to Mrs Sheppard, on the premises’.
The Sheppard family probably continued to own the pottery as William Sheppard was paying rates on the premises in 1833. However it was let to Jonathan Flood, who was then also running the Temple Back Pottery 1. From 1829 to 1834 he was listed in the directories as a ‘red ware potter (late Sheppard)’ with premises in both Avon Street and Temple Street.
In 1834 he took over a brick and tile works on St Philip’s Marsh and the St Philip’s Pottery 5 was closed.
Red earthenwares, including garden pots and chimney pots.
It was referred to as a ‘stone pottery’ in 1819 suggesting that it was also producing stonewares.